Ashley taylor (poet performer, professor, + writing program designer)
The teaching of creative writing should:
- be inclusive to contemporary writers of diverse backgrounds and identity expressions;
- be student-centered, free verse, generative, and reflective to empower students to view themselves as writers;
- emphasize rhetoric (who the poet is, who the audience is, and what the message is, all matter in terms of how the language is shaped), aka the dynamic of audience awareness and intentional language choices;
- emphasize process over product; and
- have a more active role in partnerships, both in the classroom among writing groups and with community groups to share resources or opportunities (collaborate, promote yourself and others).
INFLUENCES + Resources
marty mcconnell + the gathering voices approach
(1) We value the potential, the experience, and the perspective each person brings. This is reflected in our words, actions, and attitudes.
(2) We approach poems not as broken things in need of fixing, nor as objects of like or dislike, but as subjects of study and analysis, artworks whose possibilities we get to unpack.
(3) We come ready to work, eager to engage, and committed to creating a positive, challenging environment for everyone.
- Curiosity about new perspectives, approaches, and possibilities;
- Receptivity to ideas, to art, to each other;
- Joy in the work and in the community; and
- Rigor in our approach to growth, both our own and other people’s.
huey + kaneko, poetry: a writer’s guide and ANTHOLOGY
Not only is writing a practice, but the practice of writing is a muscle we strengthen through habitual reading and writing *and* a rhetorical practice that includes intentional language choices.
michael kardos, the art and craft of fiction
Being a writer means paying attention to the world around you, discovering and developing a focused study and guided practice of description and storytelling.
- What’s your experience + comfort with teaching poetry?
- Do you have any questions for me about the program?
- How can I best serve you as an instructor?
- Which course would you like to teach?
lipstick university: Schedule